Remember the days of flying ducks, The Good Life and Abigail's Party? Revisit the 1970s with this kitsch classic
1 loaf crusty bread
1 garlic clove, peeled
250ml white wine
300g Gruyère cheese
300g Emmenthal cheese
2 tsp cornflour
30ml Kirsch or vodka
1. Cut the bread into bite-sized pieces.
2. Rub the bottom and sides of the pan with the garlic.
3. Add the wine and heat gently. Meanwhile, grate the cheese.
4. Add the cheese to the wine and stir thoroughly as it melts.
5. Mix the cornflour with the Kirsch or vodka, and stir into the cheese. Keep mixing as it thickens (the cornflour should stop it from going lumpy).
6. Transfer to the table over the fondue warmer or nightlights.
To eat: Spear a piece of bread on the end of your fork and dip into the cheese, stirring again every so often. Traditionally, if you drop a piece of bread into the fondue the forfeit is a kiss for the person sitting next to you.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes