Roasted Pepper Tarts
Simple and stylish, these attractive tarts from Rosemary Conley make a great starter or buffet party food. Vary the filling, using different combinations of cooked or roasted vegetables
3 red peppers
6 sheets filo pastry (30cm x 20cm)
1 egg white, beaten
handful of fresh basil leaves
1 tsp vegetable bouillon stock powder
2 tbsp tomato passata
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 black olives to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
2. Cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds and place face down on non-stick baking sheet. Roast in the top of the oven for 20-30 minutes until soft. Remove from the oven and place inside a plastic food bag. Seal the bag and leave to cool. Peel the cooled peppers and roughly chop.
3. Take 6 non-stick individual tartlet tins, 10cm in diameter. In each tin, place 6 individual pastry squares in layers, placing the squares at slight angles to each other and brushing with beaten egg white in between each layer.
4. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until crisp and golden. Allow to cool.
5. To make the filling, in a mixing bowl combine the chopped peppers with the remaining ingredients, except the olives, and season well. Spoon the mixture into the baked shells and return to the oven to warm through.
6. Garnish each tart with half a black olive. Serve warm with a variety of freshly prepared salads.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes